Mom confession: During my first pregnancy, I gained seventy pounds, and, in my second pregnancy, I gained forty-five pounds. With rapid weight gain like that, depression didn’t wait until the postpartum phase to introduce itself to me. As I entered the second trimester of my first pregnancy, I felt depressed because gaining that much weight took a toll on my self-esteem, and I had to work very hard to find myself again.
For many years, I practically had mini-deaths on the workout machines at the gym trying to lose the weight. I read countless self-help books, and I tried various trendy diet plans to get myself to a point in which I am finally content with my physical appearance.
Finally, I am healthy, and I feel great, but the wardrobe I accumulated during this unhealthy time is a different story. I don’t hesitate to “make it rain” when I shop for my children, but when it comes to spoiling myself, it’s always a battle, usually resulting in a lot of guilt, if I purchase something for myself. I accept a lot of hand me downs, so that I only have to spend money on my children. For non-work days, I keep a simple collection of tummy tightening leggings, yoga pants, and a variety of oversized shirts. On work days, all my professional outfits are courtesy of my older sisters.
Last month, I took a look in the mirror at my sister’s black slacks and black polka dot button up blouse on my body. I looked myself up and down and realized for the past seven years I have been dressing myself in someone else’s style. For the first time in a long time, I am happy with who I see in the mirror. I want to finally portray that happiness through my clothes. I wanted to have a choice in my style again and not feel guilty about spending money to have it.
Unfortunately, being a single mom and running a business doesn’t necessarily help with finding the time to shop. There are a variety of styling subscription services to choose from that make clothes shopping easier for parents like me, and I decided to try ModaBox over all the others. Here’s why.
- No need to venture anywhere but to my laptop
- No styling fees
- No membership fees
- No shipping fees
- No artificial Intelligence bot attempting to choose my styles based on quiz answers
Now, here are my reasons why I will continue to use ModaBox:
- Personal stylist versus machine learning AI. It’s so valuable to still have an aspect of personal customer service, even if I’m not going to a physical store. The stylist I matched with reached out immediately. She made sure she fully understood my “style ask,” my “style desire,” and how I wanted to feel in my professional clothing before finally shipping out my ModaBox.
- Personal handwritten notes. In written words versus a general, pre-typed template, she let me know the styles she picked were specifically to help me feel powerful in my upcoming important meetings and conferences. She remembered what I had mentioned in our conversation as to why I was trying out ModaBox. Through that letter she reminded me this was as personal to her as it was to me. I was not just another order that came through the site.
- Fully Coordinated outfits vs. random items. My stylist sent me six complete outfits from which to choose. I didn’t have to waste time figuring out what piece in my closet paired up with an item in the box. ModaBox saved me the time of guessing and coordinating by sending me outfits from head to toe.
- Quality. The selection of items were all quality brands that felt good on my skin. They weren’t products that you knew would fall apart or shrink after the first wash. ModaBox didn’t just provide a lot of options in quantity, they also provided brand name, quality products.
- Social Impact. Lastly, ModaBox supports a great cause called Bottomless Closet, which is a non-profit organization that empowers women to succeed professionally. The shipping bag provided to return unwanted items is also big enough for you to donate new or gently worn women’s business-appropriate clothing. You are given the ability to support working women by donating professional clothing they need for interviews or their jobs, but have no means to purchase themselves.
Inside of the box is a quote, “The World is Your Runway, It All Starts Here.” My happy strut down my personal runway has officially started thanks to ModaBox. I now look as great on the outside as I feel on the inside and that makes all the difference in the world as to why I will stay with ModaBox.