The Holidays are always a good time to look around and realize how very blessed we are. For many of us, having a home, a job, and a healthy family are just things we take for granted. Many people in our community do not have it as lucky as we do. So as we stress about checking off everyone on our Holiday gift list, why not add a couple more gifts that would really change a little child’s view of the Holiday season.
- They are looking for toys for kids, infant through 12 years old.
- This year they are focusing on infants and older girls. Some toy suggestions are: sports equipment, arts & crafts, blankets, bottles, baby items, etc.
- You can donate your toys at any of the 51 fire station throughout the city (which are all open 24hrs) and they are having many events throughout the city during the holiday season with donation barrels to collect toys.
- They collect new, unwrapped toys for children ages infant through 12 years of age and then distribute them to the less fortunate as Christmas presents.
- They have a list of donation sites all around the Bay Area to make it easier than ever to donate to this great cause.
- You can even go to Toys “R” Us or Babies”R” Us online and pick out a toy to donate through their Toys for Tots Wishlist.
- Bring your donation of new and unwrapped gifts to a Sleep Train location near you, and they will be given to local foster children throughout the community!
- You can also make a tax-deductible donation online, and it will be used to provide special services and programs for these foster children throughout the year.
How To Involve The Kids:
- To get your kids in the spirit of giving to others include them in the picking out and purchasing of the toy.
- You could ask them: Do you want to donate to a boy or a girl? What age- a baby, older child or the same age you are? What do you think a boy or girl of that age would really like to play with?
- From there you can either pick out a toy online or take them to the store to pick out a toy in person and then drop off at a donation site together.
Here are some books to help talk about and understand why giving to others is an important thing to do:
I’m looking forward to teaching my family that we need to help and think about others who are less fortunate during the Holiday Season!
*Remember SFMB has partnered with My New Red Shoes for a Holiday Shoe Drive. Please check out our Amazon Wishlist where you can purchase a pair of shoes for a homeless or lower income child in the Bay Area!